Monday, October 24, 2011

Dedicated to Saving Lives Without Violence

I must admit I’m a little annoyed. Well actually, very annoyed! Those of you know know me or who have ever participated in pro-life activism with me know I’m probably one of the least confrontational people when it comes to both how events are run and responded to. I do not participate or encourage illegal activities, whether it is to save lives or teach about abortion. If the police or security show up I make sure they are spoken to and problems are worked through. Prior to running an event, I call attorneys or the police department in the area to assure we’re respecting legal boundaries if I’m unsure about any of the legal details surrounding the event. I’ve even gone so far as to tell the police ahead of time about an event I’m running in order to make things run smoothly, in the event law enforcement is called out to the event. Now, working with the police doesn’t mean submitting to unlawful orders. If I know orders being issued by law enforcement are wrong, or I am unsure, I work through the issue to find clarity and a resolution. However, I don’t allow my rights to be violated. All is done in a peaceful manner, even when there are angry people involved.

Why do I tell you this? Well it has to do with my I’m so upset. I know people who are pro-life who condemn and criticize the pro-life movement and/or particular pro-life people calling them violent; and saying these people harass, intimidate, or vandalize. There are a few people in particular who have recently publicly vocalized their thoughts of other’s pro-life work; such as “occupying” waiting rooms as Jewels Green put it in a recent article (Committed to Ending Abortion: Not by Using Violence). Really quickly I will further clarify: I do not support, nor do I participate in illegal pro-life work, nor do I EVER use violence while participating in pro-life work. (I firmly believe in saving lives and changing lives by example; by loving others.)

What makes me mad is that instead of encouraging certain ways of doing pro-life work, people often condemn one way and uplift another. You know something, there isn’t one way to do pro-life work. Yes, some people definitely cross lines that shouldn’t be crossed, and it’s not right, but you shouldn’t assume that’s the case with every pro-life activist, prayer warrior, or side walk counselor; nor should you classify whole groups of people dedicated to the saving of human life.

Allow me to share a brief story with you:

One day I walked into an abortion clinic to council women who were waiting to be called in for a procedure that would do one simple thing, end the life of the child in the mother’s womb. There were over 40 people in the waiting room and the only services provided that morning were abortions. I sat down between two women in the waiting room and started talking to them about what they were there for and why. I listened to these women and I shared information with them about abortion risks, their baby, and how there were people and resources available at that moment that could help them. We had a pleasant and peaceful conversation. When I left, both of these women thanked me for the information and for listening to their stories. The woman who was there for an abortion shared she was unsure about her decision now. She thought the abortion would be bad for her and would take the life of her little one, but she was already there so she did not know if she would leave. Unfortunately, I had to leave before I knew if she left and chose life for her child or not. I left her with information about resources that were available, so that she really had choices.

While I spoke with these women I was never asked to leave and never did I assault or intimidate anyone. While I was in the abortion clinic the door was actually shut and locked because the security guard spotted a few other people who walked in behind me to counsel women as well. They left when the security guard asked. The security guard was unhappy that pro-lifers tried to come in and started shoving around a gentleman outside who was leading the group. The gentleman didn’t push back or even touch the man as this tall and heavy set security guard pushed and shoved. The security guard walked inside and locked the door while I was sitting with these women. He never noticed me and quite frankly I was terrified, but as the door was locked I sat with these women for some time and offered them a life line.

You know why I stayed? Because children were about to be killed, and I was going to do what I could to stop it. If a house was on fire and a woman was stuck inside but you knew you could make it in to try and save her from burning to death, would you? You could be putting yourself at risk and could get hurt... Guess what, I’m not welcome to run into an abortion clinic and stop a child from being burned to death by a saline abortion. My friend was assaulted for standing outside an abortion clinic door while a few people peacefully walked inside just to talk to some of those women to try and save a life. Please tell me how “occupying” this waiting room was wrong? Please tell me why it was so wrong for heroes of the Operation Rescue era to sit outside an abortion clinic door to keep it closed for a day or maybe a few hours. Countless lives have been saved by the courageous efforts people have made. Sit ins like what Operation Rescue did aren’t done anymore because it is now illegal.

I will call pro-life advocates warriors for life because abortion is a war on the most innocent and helpless around us. However, we participate in a battle without violence; we come to the battle with love and resources that will help save innocent lives and save women from a life time of sorrow and regret. I could share story after story where peaceful people I know were violently abused by fellow citizens and police for standing on the public sidewalk outside an abortion clinic or in a free speech zone at a high school. If you want to point a finger of violence, I recommend these critics point in the direction of the abortion providers and those that would violate the first amendment rights of pro-lifers through illegal actions and often times violence. I suggest they gain more than a cursory understanding of those standing in defense of human life. Defend the unborn boldly and fearlessly, but don’t hurt your fellow man doing so and don’t act illegally.


For the Dignity of the born and unborn,


Timmerie Millington

3 comments:

  1. “Really quickly I will further clarify: I do not support, nor do I participate in illegal pro-life work, nor do I EVER use violence while participating in pro-life work.”

    Then Jewels’ article wasn’t talking about you.

    The counseling you described – that’s not what she is referring to. Sounds to me like you two are in perfect agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do disagree with what the intent of the article would appear to be and where it has rooted from. I still think the article is an indirect criticism of the pro-life work of Operation Rescue and others. I'm not offended thinking that it is criticizing me, but that it is criticizing the work of many in general. I encourage you to read this stream from a few days ago:

    Bryan Kemper
    I wonder how the "Occupy Wall Street" people would react if we started "Occupying Abortion Clinics'? If they really care about the so called little guy, then they should support us stopping abortionists from killing the real little guys.
    Like · · Share · Friday at 6:08am ·

    Kevin Feliciano ha, erik and i were talking about this yesterday
    Friday at 6:10am · Like · 1 person

    Bryan Kemper Kevin we used to do this, it was called Operation Rescue. I have occupied many abortion clinics back in the day.
    Friday at 6:11am · Like · 3 people

    Eleny Morales Oh yes! and we would definitely recieve more opposition if we did that here..isnt that ironic?
    Friday at 6:17am · Like

    Jewels Green Sadly, my one personal experience with folks occupying an abortion clinic resulted in zero changed minds and 18 abortions committed in the un-occupied part of the clinic...
    Friday at 7:01am · Like

    Jacob Ethridge Im starting one now haha
    Friday at 8:10am · Like

    Abby Brannam Johnson I don't like the "rescue" idea. But I do like occupying clinics the way that 40 Days for Life does...24 hours a days with peaceful prayer.
    Friday at 8:53am · Like · 5 people

    Ann Barrick I drive by the Occupy people after I pray at the abortion center. They are few in number and I've seen a couple who are "pro-choice". (Recognized them from a PP events when they opposed the SBA bus tour.) Go figure, huh?
    Friday at 8:58am · Like

    Joni Durling The rescue idea may not be everyone's cup of tea but the babies who were saved 20 years ago might disagree. I'm not always comfortable with every method prolifers use but all fronts need to be covered and while I might not be called to take a certain action, it doesn't mean someone else isn't.
    Friday at 10:50pm · Unlike · 1 person

    Bryan Kemper rescue was very effective years ago, it would not be today. with the face laws it is just not the best tactic. The idea of rescue is beautiful, laying your life down for someone else. When i was single and there was noe fedral laws i resued a lot.
    Saturday at 8:07am · Unlike · 1 person

    Abby Brannam Johnson I think the rescue movement was wonderful. I am thankful to those that participated. Many lives were saved and laws were put into place so that we can go and peacefully pray outside of clinics without being arrested. Now that we have those laws, we don't have to "rescue" anymore.
    Saturday at 8:23am · Like

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continued:


    Joni Durling Rescuing had a different purpose. We were always allowed to pray outside of clinics. The penalities for rescuing simply got too high for most people with famiilies to endure. Basically, in closing the clinics down we were able to get to the women when they couldn't go in and offer them alternatives and, by Planned Parenthoods own stats, 20% of women who don't keep that first appointment often don't go back. I know of several lives saved by us being able to intercept the women who showed for their appointments and who knows how many more were saved just because they saw what people were willing to endure for their babies or how many were saved just simply because they had another chance to think about it. As Brian said, it was very effective but we'd never have the numbers today. So we now move onto other strategies. There are so many things that people can do and it's great when people can cover bases other people can't.
    Saturday at 10:59am · Unlike · 1 person


    Then look at this from Jewels article: "Even humorously suggesting a return to the era of blockading entrances to clinics or “occupying” the waiting rooms of abortion clinics leads down the slippery slope to further lawlessness: harassment, intimidation, vandalism, and eventually (and inevitably) violence. These tactics are morally wrong and produce dubious results. What is certain is that breaking the law in an effort to stop abortion tarnishes the movement, alienates those on the fence (or newcomers to the fold), and worst of all—it provides our pro-abortion opposition a speedy on-ramp to the high road and fosters a “comrades-in-arms” mentality that unifies their ranks and galvanizes public opinion in their favor."

    ReplyDelete