Monday, November 28, 2011

Scared to Speak about Abortion

"When they deliver you up, do not be anxious about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." ~ Matthew 10:19-20 ~

Never be afraid to speak the truth. . .

I’m currently taking a college level speech class at a community college in San Bernardino. Throughout the semester my teacher encouraged people to pick hot and controversial topics such as gay marriage and euthanasia for the upcoming persuasive speech. The teacher really wanted heart changing issues discussed. However, there was one topic she said we weren’t allowed to cover -- abortion. Why? Because she said “No way someone is going to get up here and call me a baby killer.” My blood was literally boiling as she said this, and for three reasons:
1.  She was being biased, and discriminating against people who oppose abortion. (Did I mention she constantly encourages our class to go to Planned Parenthood for their ‘reproductive services’?)

2.  It enrages me when pro-lifers get out there and start screaming “baby killers” and “murders” because this does NOT open a gateway for dialogue that could change a heart. I’m pro-life and don’t even want to hear or talk to people who hoot and holler about “baby killers”.

3.  She scared -- actually terrified -- people out of speaking against abortion, when it can already be hard enough to talk about the issue in out present culture.
Furthermore, my teacher said that people could argue the pro-abortion position. What?!? Okay this just enraged me. I had no intention of doing a speech on abortion or anything even related to the topic, but her indoctrination and discrimination pushed me over the boiling point. I decided to dance around the topic of abortion and give a speech on something that would still have an impact on my class of 40 students, on the issue of abortion. For the last three weeks I have worked hours every single day researching and perfecting a speech on the abortion breast cancer (ABC) link.


I went into today’s class knowing full well that I could be marked down significantly just because of my topic, even though I wasn’t talking directly about abortion ending the life of an unborn child, but about how abortion greatly increases a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer since it stops the breast from further developing while at a cancer vulnerable stage. (Learn more here.)

Here is how it went, and I’ll share with you what stuck out the most to me today:

My teacher was the only one that knew the topic before hand, and when I handed her my grading sheet she was already acting rather cold, especially in comparison to her normal demeanor. I ignored it and prayed for the Holy Spirit to speak through me, and began my speech. Throughout the speech the class was very attentive and responsive. My teacher made mean faces, had her arms crossed, and shook her head nearly the entire time. Did she make me nervous? Heck yes! But I kept going and I refused to let her silence the truth of the subject. When I sat down in my chair my heart was still racing uncontrollably and I was shaking.

I’m embarrassed to say it, but I was literally terrified because of how she acted. I have only ever felt that way two times in my life. Once when a friend of mine was arrested for standing on a public sidewalk praying and passing out roses to mother’s walking into the abortion clinic and the second time when I myself was detained for speaking about abortion in a public area. My friend was put into jail over night and later fought a court battle, and won. I was kept for about 20 minutes then released because the police couldn’t find a reason to book me.

In the end, my point is that the teacher scared me so badly I literally felt exactly as I had when the police treated my friend and I as though we had done something horrible, and my life was in danger. Just like that day I was detained on the streets for having a peaceful conversation, someone (my teacher) scared me and bullied me in an effort to silence my voice from speaking on behalf of children in the womb.

I beg you, please don’t allow our pro-abortion culture to silence you. You can save lives and change hearts with your voice. Speak the truth and do not be afraid for this is God’s work and He will always take care of you.

For the Dignity of the Born and Unborn,

Timmerie

P.S. I had 5 people approach me after class wanting to know more, saying they were glad I covered the topic because they never would have known, and to say I delivered the issue well.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Timmerie, for your stand for the truth. I admire you so much and am so thankful that God keeps His promises and indeed gave you the words to speak. You are right, we are not to remain silent but we are to act as Christians while doing so. Although I understand those who get so emotional about it because indeed abortion stops a beating heart and innocent lives are taken. We must continue to stand strong and not be intimidated and above all else pray for these mothers-to-be who may be confused and do not know the truth and for protection over those precious unborn children in danger. Thank you again, Timmerie, for your voice for the innocent unborn. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your teacher has had an abortion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job finding a way around that teacher's close-minded restrictions! Sounds like you gave a well-documented speech that caught the interest of your classmates--and that's tough to do in a mandatory speech class (I recall having to force myself to pay enough attention to write the required feedback!)

    BTW, have you considered reporting this teacher's discrimination (since she specifically would have allowed a pro-abortion speech topic) to school officials?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timmerie, I agree with Robert; your teacher sounds post-abortive. Try offering her info from Rachel's Vineyard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Robert also... I think she's (your teacher) had an abortion.

    I must say I admire you and not in a creepy way. I love how you have FEARLESS FAITH. Not the absence of fear, but defying it. I understand your situation. Trying to speak about what you believe when someone is unwilling to hear it. I'm only barely thirteen, but it's happened so many times already since I've left homeschool and entered public school.

    I'm on my school's debate team and guess what we're discussing? Abortion! My school is too small for a real debate team so we just split up according to beliefs. When the teacher told us we were discussing abortion, she asked how many were pro-abortion. Two kids. Then she asked how many were pro-life. Everyone else. The debate's tomorrow... this is gonna be amazing. I feel like... I can't even describe it. Like the pro-life movement is really, um, moving. Going places. So I'm not the least bit un-confident that this will be the best debate.

    And, when we found out about the debate, I thought of this blog. Such an inspiration it is to me. So inspiring, I'm getting in on this pro-life thing. I haven't started a blog for it yet, but I'm so excited to get started. My lifelong dream is to be a mom one day, and maybe even adopt a few kids. What would happen to the families who can't have any more kids if there were even more abortions?

    This is life in technicolor, as God wants us to see it. Life beyond death. We have to reach out, and that means more lives saved... we don't have time for death.

    Wow... I love being open about my faith... I've been wanting to get this out for like ever. That's why the post is so long.

    So, let the movement MOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably going to send a letter to the school administration letting them know wouldn't wouldn't allow the topic of abortion to be discussed.

    Based on what she has said in class, I do believe she is post abortive. My prayers are certainly with her.

    Hope, your comment made me very happy. Thank you! I love hearing about young people like yourself who speak for what they believe in. How did your debate go? It's great to hear that most of your team is pro-life. Hopefully the debate changed a few hearts and minds.

    Keep on speaking out against abortion and persevere in prayer. We cannot for one second do this work without God. Oh, and you don't have to start a blog to be actively pro-life,; that's just one way of many. Debate team, praying and sidewalk counseling outside an abortion clinic, and volunteering for a pro-life organization are just some of many ways to be involved. But above all, always stand true to your convictions and reach out to those in need. Be a living example!

    Keep the comments coming. I love to hear everyone's thoughts, experiences, and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I've had similar experiences myself in both high school and college, although most of mine were concerning evolution and creation. I've been kicked out of several classrooms for offering counter evidence or defending Biblical concepts (my English class one year studied some of Genesis as part of our 'mythologies' studies.) Officially I didn't graduate from my high school (but rather from the state) because I refused to take a required course that was extremely anti-Christian and against my beliefs and the school refused a waiver or alternate course (even though I offered to take at my expense a college course to make up for it).
    Anyway, it's always worth it! And the next time, you'll probably be just as scared, but you'll know that you can still do it. Sounds like you learned that one a long time ago though. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that terrified feeling. In a college class I had to take, we were required to go to a seminar held by a Muslim woman about how wonderful and peaceful Islam is. I'm a Christian, and the woman made statements about Christianity that were completely false. I instantly felt the Holy Spirit moving me to say something but I was soooo scared. I literally felt like I could vomit. I didn't even know what I was going to say either, until I stood up. Only by grace did I ever do that, because by my own will I would've stayed seated. When we obey God, HE will act, even if we don't see fruit immediately.

    I praise the Lord for your boldness!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I admire you for being courageous and bless you for lending your hands, eyes, ears and mouth to God so that the truth may be revealed and be heard. I know the feeling of being scared when taking a stand in this arena of pro-life. I do sidewalk prayer and my first experience was very discouraging due to offensive remarks and gestures thrown our way, but after reflecting on that, I realized that was satan feeling so threatened by us,knowing that he was losing the battle. And he will do anything to discourage us from doing what God want us to do. That realization made me stronger and made me fight back even more. Ephesians 6:12 tells us that our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against evil spiritual forces. Be strong and may the Holy Spirit continue to move and fill you with wisdom and strength. Thank you for the amazing work you do, as I know many will benefit from the work you do. "Blessed are those that are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"~ Matt 5:10

    ReplyDelete