Thursday, April 28, 2011

Anger, Justice, Sympathy and Repentance

As 30 Survivors came together to promote the right to life in the womb at San Diego’s Earth Fair on April 17, 2011, (Read about the event here and here) a young man, mid-to-late 20’s, became enraged by Survivors’ use of graphic images.  He kicked a hole through a sign that showed the remains of an aborted child.  The man was immediately pursued on foot by two Survivors and a San Diego police officer who saw the incident transpire.  The man was quickly detained by SDPD.


Now here is where the story took a unique turn:  I walked through the fair to where I found the young man sitting on the ground handcuffed next to a few police officers.  My heart was suddenly filled with grief for this young man when I saw him weeping true tears of sorrow.  Immediately I wondered if he was crying because he was arrested and scared or if there was more to the situation.  I approached Cheryl Conrad, Survivors’ Director of Operations, and she shared that the young man had apologized.  With tears in her eyes, Cheryl explained that after the young man apologized he shared that his wife had recently miscarried their child and the graphic image disturbed him. 


Survivors were so touched by this young man’s anguish for his lost child that we encouraged the police to let him go and only require he pay for the replacement of the sign he damaged.  Because a police officer saw the incident take place, SDPD explained that they had the obligation to arrest him in order to promote peace at the event.  


Over the last week the gentleman requested that the situation be settled out of court indicating that he would pay Survivors to replace the sign he damaged.  The police officer mediated the situation and the young man has since sent compensation for the sign to Survivors.  Yesterday Survivors received an email from the young man.  I would like to share part of this email with you:

“I recently lost my son when my wife caught ill in her eighth month of pregnancy. When I saw one of your vile signs it disturbed me so much that I kicked and broke it. I understand that you are trying to point out the repulsive outcome of an action and I did not have the right to destroy your property...
May God bless us and forgive our sins,
Curtiss”
It takes a true man to apologize the way he did.  While Survivors will not put up with aggressive behavior or suppression of our right to free speech, we feel for this young man and are grateful for his sincere apology.  I and all of the Survivors pray for this young man and his wife  and we remember their baby son in heaven.  

Standing In Defence of the Voiceless,

Timmerie Millington

No comments:

Post a Comment