Friday, January 28, 2011

Reflection on 'The Volunteer Fair'



After the Walk for Life Youth Rally I was finally able to pick up ‘Unplanned’ to read past the first chapter. I’ve decided to write a reflection on each chapter discussing some areas that stood out to me, and what I have learned from Abby’s story. I challenge you to read along with me and discuss the story of a former Planned Parenthood directer. . .

First, I must say that it breaks my heart to once again see the misconception and lack of education in some people when it comes to abortion. Some aren’t informed and for others abortion is one of those topics that just is not talked about. A young lady shared with me last weekend at the Walk for Life Youth Rally that she was amazed to see so many young people who were pro-life! Mary said abortion is a hushed up topic and you don’t mention it on campus or in the dorms. Do you or did you experience this in college? I put it on the hearts of everyone who reads this to help educate others about abortion, beginning with your friends and family.

Back to Abby's book. In the second chapter, Abby shares about the day she was recruited by a very kind woman from Planned Parenthood at her school’s volunteer fair. Abby was struck by the sincere concern this woman showed towards women in crisis. I know that as pro-lifers we are always reaching out to women in need and teaching others about abortion, but sometimes I think we miss the personal aspect of our ministry while the pro-abortion side knows how to use words to show that they care and want what is best for women. We must continue to go back to the root of our ministry and surround the woman and child with non-judgemental support and love because we too care. Reach out to society with love, respect, and compassion and show them the truth. The pro-life side respects not only the dignity of the woman’s life but also the dignity of the child. Speak truth with love and don’t allow your friends, familly, and coworkers to live life not understanding what abortion truly is.

Order Abby’s book and join this discussion http://www.unplannedthebook.com/

Checkout my reflection from chapter 1, ‘The Ultrasound’

No comments:

Post a Comment